Scotland County Towns and Villages

City of Memphis

Memphis, the county seat of Scotland County, in point of population, is the metropolis. The population of Memphis, according to the census of 1910, was 1,984. It is known, however, to have two or three hundred more than that in 1912, as this is written. This fact is ascertained because there are no houses of any consequence that are vacant. When the census enumerator was around there were about a hundred vacant houses in the city. Since the town was originally laid out there have been fourteen additions to the town, now city, of Memphis. This was necessary in order to accommodate the growing population. The first house built within the present limits of the city of Memphis was erected in 1835 (before the town was platted) by Burton Tompkins. This was a log house and stood near the present site of the K. & W. depot.

The first hotel was built by Harry Baker, deceased. This was near the southeast corner of the square.

Another hotel was soon built just west of Townsend's wagon factory, by Andrew Lovell. This was a frame structure.

The public square in the earliest days of the town's existence was surrounded mainly by frame or log buildings. Subsequently and after the town got a new charter and was classed as a city, the council passed an ordinance forbidding the erection of buildings out of combustible materials, at or near the public square. This ordinance has been so long in force that now there only two frame buildings on the square.

Memphis has two fine school buildings. One of these, a grammar school in the north ward, was erected in 1900 at a cost of five thousand dollars. The other is the high school, a handsome structure of fire proof construction that was built in the year 1910, at a cost of twenty thousand dollars. This building is a monument to the progressive spirit of the people of the city of Memphis. Parents feel secure when their children are so comfortably and safely housed. It may be added here that the high school of Memphis has been built up to a school of the first class. The curriculum has been approved by the State University, and the Memphis high school articulates with the University. The last time the examiner from the state institution visited Memphis the school was advanced to seventeen units. Under this arrangement students who graduate here in the full course can enter the freshman class in the State University without further examinations. The faculty of the high school now is as follows: superintendent. Professor A. O. Moore; history. Miss Essie McQuoid; English, Miss Cox; Latin and German, Miss Ella Shaw; principal of the high school, Lloyd King.

The grade teachers for the coming term are the following: At the South School, Misses McWilliams, Mudd, Critz, Bumbarger, and Jackson. North school - F. G. Mason, principal; Mrs. Reckard, Misses Gutman and Knight.

The business houses of Memphis are all well-kept. There are many fine plate glass fronts and attractive windows. Some of the large stores here have fine displays of merchandise and they would be a credit to many a city of five to ten thousand population. Memphis draws trade from a large territory on the north, south, east and west, and her business men, in the main, are quite prosperous.

The churches represented here are the Presbyterian, Methodist, Episcopal, M. E. South, Baptist and Christian. The churches all maintain strong organizations, have Sunday schools, and all have pastors, except the Baptist church, whose minister recently resigned to accept similar work elsewhere. The resident pastors now are Rev. C. H. Morton, of the First Presbyterian church; Rev. H. G. Waggoner, of the Christian church; Rev. C. V. Lanius, of the M. E. Church South; and Rev. George Sturgis, of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Since the organization of the town, there have been various newspaper enterprises launched.

The Memphis Conservative was a paper established in 1866 by John Gharkey.

The Reveille was established September 9, 1865 by Lem Shields and G. A. Henry, two Federal soldiers who had lately returned from the Civil war. The editors of the Reveille at successive stages of its history were: S. R. Peters, John A. McGrindley, Cy W. Jamison, James Gillespie, and present proprietors, W. W. and H. G. Gillespie, sons of the late James Gillespie. The Reveille has steadfastly advocated the principles of the Republican Party since its beginning. It is a weekly publication and a six column quarto.

The Memphis Democrat was established in the autumn of 1873 by Samuel Dysert. This paper has been under the guidance of the following persons since that time: James Donnelly, McDowell & Burch, Felix Lane, J. C. Kirby, Eugene P. Moore, S. A. Allen, Colonel M. A. Bates, Dr. J. C. Gristy, and the present editors and proprietors, Roberts & Bumbarger.

The National was established June 1, 1882, by C. W. Sevier, but did not long continue publication. At various times other newspapers, the Standard, by Colonel Bates; the Daily Chronicle, by J. W. Bence, and other minor publications, have been published in Memphis.

Business Directory of the city of Memphis

Judge E. R. McKee
J. M. Jayne
Pettingill & Luther
J. H. Watkins
H. V. Smoot
J. M. Doran
W. L. Scott
H. H. Jones
Judge Elias Scofield
Major R. D. Cramer
J. W. Bence
H. A. Miller
R. W. Campbell
W. B. Scott
A. H. Pitkin
Citizens Bank, G. E. Leslie, president.
Farmers Exchange Bank, John R. Hudson, cashier.
Scotland County National Bank, R. M. Barnes, cashier.
Cone & Davidson, barbers.
Courtney Brothers, barbers.
Hotel Barber Shop
Jeffries Brothers, barbers.
W. O. Tucker, barber.
Drugs & Notions
Dr. Givens, drugs.
Zumsteg Brothers, drugs.
G. D. Dawson, druggist.
D. R. Brown, drugs and notions.
Doctors & Dentists
Dr. J. E. Parrish
Dr. E. E. Parrish
Dr. A. E. Platter
Dr. P. M. Baker
Dr. Frank Givens
Dr. W. E. H. Bondurant
Dr. W. E. Alexander
Dr. G. F. Foster
Dr. J. J. Risk
Dr. J. D. Skidmore
Drs. J. A. Grow*
Dr. Benson*
Dr. Mabie*
L. E. Hudson
N. A. Thompson & Son
J. A. Curtis
Simpson Grow
L. C. Pitkin
Dry Goods - Tailor - Clothing
E. F. Bertram, dry goods.
E. Walsh, tailor.
A. P. Patterson, dry goods.
A. B. Hirsh, ladies' clothing.
M. L. Jackson Estate, general department store.
Memphis Clothing Company, clothing and gents furnishings.
Miller Mercantile Company, dry goods, clothing and millinery.
Furniture - Undertaking
D. W. Payne, furniture and undertaking.
J. H. Mulch, furniture and undertaking.
Grocery - Produce
A. Ammerman, grocery
Oyler & Son, groceries.
A. E. McQuoid, groceries.
Bertram & Ballow, groceries.
Clarkson Brothers, groceries.
Memphis Produce Company, Steeples & Adams, proprietors.
Hardware - Implements
J. E. Mount, hardware.
W. C. Clement, hardware.
Ben Morris, hardware and implements.
W. P. Briggs & Son, garage, implements, and grain elevator.
Livery - Harness- Wagon Makers
John Klotzer, harness.
Clark & Davis, livery.
McHenry Brothers, livery.
C. A. Gerhold, harness and saddles.
J. A. Cassingham, livery, dray and coal.
J. J. Townsend & Son, wagons and buggies.
Simon Saddlery Company, harness and saddles.
Douglas & Prather, blacksmiths and wagon makers.
Mrs. H. B. Dougherty, hotel.
Memphis Hotel, Wm. Newman, proprietor.
C. F. Sanders, W. L. Scott, H. H. Jones, F. C. Reddish
W. B. McLane, jewelry.
T. C. Tulley, jeweler.
Lumber - Plumber
W. W. Eckman, lumber.
T. H. Wiegner, lumber.
T. H. Warwick, plumber.
Meat Market
W. I. Humbert, meat market.
Davis & Hockett, meat market.
Hanzel & Garrett, meat market.
J. E. Johnson, photographer.
Otis Goodenough, photographer.
Real Estate
Witty & McCandless, Shacklett & Combs, J. H. Watkins, John Holley.
Restaurants -Bakers - Pool Hall
Ed. Driscoll, pool hall.
Thomas Naggs, baker.
Taylor Brothers, restaurant.
Thomas J. Baird, restaurant.
Williams Brothers, restaurant.
Isaac Royer, shoemaker.
George Bratz, shoemaker.
Frank Harkness, shoe store.
didn't know where to put them)
The New Store.
Merritt's Mill.
Memphis Democrat.
Memphis Reveille.
D. C. Morgan, coal.
C. H. Byrne, news stand.
Memphis Telephone Exchange.
A. G. Craig, flour and feed.
Martin Humphrey, monuments, etc.
Barnes Building (under construction).
W. C. Chew, house furnishings and musical instruments.
Mrs. Minnie E. Bence, music school.
John Scott & Sons, building contractors.
Myers, Moore & Company, manufacturers of brick and tile.

Some of the business men of Memphis in its early history were: H. Gorin, Paxton & Hudson, Charles Mety, William G. Downing, Dudley Webber and John Crook. Several manufacturing enterprises have been carried on in the town at various periods, such as the making of furniture, flour and cigars. One of the late manufacturing enterprises that in its day did a large export business was Rees Brothers' Handle Factory. This factory furnished employment for a good many men and boys, but the scarcity of timber made it necessary for this enterprise to close its doors.

Memphis has a large brick and tile factory that furnishes employment for a good many men. This is conducted by Myers, Moore & Company, and employs twenty-five men through the brick making season.

There is now (July, 1912) under consideration the establishment of a button factory, which it is claimed by the promoters will furnish employment for about one hundred men. The money to be raised by the business men of the town to insure the starting of this factory is about all subscribed, and it is believed the factory is an assured fact.

The city of Memphis at this time has the following officers:

Mayor, Dr. E. Brainerd
City clerk, Earl McDaniel
Marshal and street commissioner, Sam Dauma
Night watchman, Milt Palmer
City attorney, J. M. Doran

Aldermen, J. C. Woodsmall, A. Ammerman, L. E. Courtney and J. L. Houtz


Gorin is second in size among the towns of Scotland County. Gorin was started in 1886 and 1887, about the time the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad was completed. The place has grown to be an important commercial center, located as it is, on one of the most gigantic and best equipped railroad systems in America, which within the past five years has completed the double tracking of the entire distance between Chicago and Kansas City. Gorin has had a healthy growth, not a mushroom boom, but the kind of growth that is substantial and will last.

The population by the census of 1910, of Gorin and South Gorin combined was 830, which is more than double what it was ten years before. Within the borders of this enterprising town are a number of important enterprises.

A few years ago the Prairie Oil and Gas Company, a portion of the Standard Oil Corporation, put in a pipe line along the right-of-way of the Santa Fe Railroad and established one of its pumping stations at Gorin. This is a big concern and furnishes employment to a number of men.

In the year 1907, the Gorin school district voted bonds to build a new and commodious school house, the contract price of which was $7,500. The district employs four teachers for the grades and high school, having adopted a two years' course in the latter.

Gorin has four churches, namely: The Christian, Methodist Episcopal Church South, Baptist and Cumberland Presbyterian. The citizens are a live and progressive people and they look well to their religious and educational interests.

Gorin Business Directory

Citizens Bank, Roy Myers. cashier.
Gorin Savings Bank, Henry Weber, cashier.
Piper & Kraus, drugs, Williams & Estell, druggists.
Clothing - Millinery
A. D. Way, clothing, Mrs. Maud Hays, millinery.
Powers & Kraus, grocery.
Henry Beckman, groceries.
Shibley Brothers, general store.
Abe Gardner, hardware, Irwin & Company, hardware.
Hotel Savoy, Southern Hotel, Guiles & Ewing.
Livery - Blacksmith - Harness
Walter Smith. livery.
Haff & Sons, blacksmiths. etc.
J. A. Guiles, harness and saddles.
Harry Ratherford, implements and buggies.
Meat Markets
Steve Harker, meat market.
Charles Kiefer, meat market.
Restaurants -Bakery
W. P. Piles. postmaster, restaurant.
Lafe Trotter. restaurant, pool room.
Greeno & Ewing, bakery and restaurant.
didn't know where to put them)
Piles & Company, barbers.
Thomas Brothers, automobiles.
A. W. Richardson, racket store.
Fred Gerth, furniture and undertaking.
Gorin Argus, a weekly newspaper edited by Roy Sharts & Son.

One of the earliest mayors Gorin ever had was W. L. C. Ratherford, a pioneer of the town, who located there a short time after the Santa Fe was built. He established a wagon and buggy factory and after conducting a shop there several years, put in a stock of buggies and farming implements. Associated with him in business were his two sons, Harry and William. Since the death of his father, Harry has been conducting the business at the old stand. The present mayor is J. A. Guiles. Stephen Harker is the city marshal.


Next in size and importance among the towns of Scotland County is Rutledge. This place, like Gorin, was brought into existence by the location of the Santa Fe Railroad. Soon after the town was laid out Edwin L. Hilbert established a newspaper which under the name of the Record he continued to publish for a number of years. He sold the plant, which has since that time had a checkered career. It was owned and conducted at one time by Lyman Westcott. Another publisher was Mr. Bounds, now deceased. After the death of Mr. Bounds the paper was for a time suspended, but resumed publication about a year ago under the management of E. T. Barnes, who is still engaged in the publication of the paper.

A. E. McQuoid, now a grocery merchant of Memphis, was one of the first men to conduct a general store at Rutledge.

Present Business Directory of Rutledge

Bank of Rutledge, D. J. Buford, cashier.
Blacksmith - Machinist
Tom Bone, blacksmith, Mart Smith, machinist.
W. P. Rule, drugs, Petty & Petty, drugs.
General Store
Neely Mercantile Company, general store.
Mrs. George Parcells, general store.
Lou Rose, hardware, Walter Wingerter, hardware
Albert Green, hotel.
J. R. Comley, furniture.
W. J. Taylor, lumberman:
Frank Smith, grain dealer.
Gale Myers, pool hall and restaurant.
Gunnel, Bertran & Buford, real estate.

In religious matters Rutledge stands well among the towns of the county, these denominations being represented: Christian, Methodist Episcopal Church South, Baptist, and Holiness. The people of the town are believers in education and have put their belief into practice by building up their school to a high standard for a town no larger than Rutledge. Some months ago the citizens of this community voted bonds to the amount of $7,500 for the erection of a brick schoolhouse, containing ample room and equipment for the needs of the district for many years to come. The corner stone of this neat structure was laid by the Masonic fraternity, June 12, 1912, when members of that order from all over the county attended and participated in the ceremonies.

The population of Rutledge according to the census of 1910 was 418, a gain of 126 over the census of 1900. It has grown to be quite an important trading point, and is surrounded by a rich farming community.


Granger is a clean little town on the Burlington Railroad twelve miles east of Memphis. Its population in 1910 was not given in the census report, but there must be from 150 to 200 people living there. The town was incorporated June 3rd, 1912, when an application to the county court signed by nearly all the residents of the place was filed. At the same time the court made Granger a voting precinct. Previously the voters of that community had to go to Arbela to cast their votes that place being in Thomson Township also. Granger stands on a high prairie, in the center of a vast area of fertile farming land. Heretofore the government of the town was along the lines of the ordinary village. All power was vested in the county and township organization. Since the town was incorporated, June, 1912 there have been five trustees of the place, and the chairman of the board of trustees is by virtue of his office, mayor of the town. The first trustees of the town were: J. A. Graham, Dr. J. L. Statler, J. L. Witt, Richard Lewis, and Z. N. Kennett. The first chairman the board had was Richard Lewis.

Business Directory of Granger  

Granger Exchange Bank, J. L. Witt, cashier
Blacksmith - Livery
Friend Allen, blacksmith, Harry Franklin, livery
R. L. Fairbrother, druggist
Groceries - General Store
Richard Lewis, groceries
J. A. Graham, general store
U. S. G. Foster, general store
R. C. McEldowney, general store
Arthur Steeples, meat market
Pryor House, hotel
Captain Hyatt, hotel
Harve Cline, restaurant
Farwell & Adams, hardware
Dr. J. L. Statler, physician and surgeon.

Granger, by reason of its location and natural advantages, bids fair to become a very important business center and to show up much larger by the census of 1920 than it is now.


Arbela is located on the Keokuk & Western branch of the Burlington Railroad nine miles east of Memphis, and also in Thomson township. The original survey of this town, then called North Perryville, was made March 24, 1858, by Thomas Russell. Afterward, the town of Arbela, lying south of and including the southern part of North Perryville, was surveyed and laid out, but when and by whom the record does not state. The original town was at one time called ''Burnt Church.''

Business Enterprises
C. H. Overhulser, general store
A. W. Tucker, general merchandise
Hamilton, postmaster and hardware
Dr. A. L. Davis, physician and surgeon, and drugs
A. J. Robinson, lumber and grain
Nere, blacksmith

The churches of the town are three in number, the Methodist, Christian and Baptist. Arbela has a very good school and employs two teachers. Arbela's population is 131.


On the Burlington Railroad the village of Crawford is also situated, being about six miles west of Memphis, the county seat. Crawford has two general stores, one church and a schoolhouse.

Other villages of the county that are not on any railroad are: Bible Grove, in the southwest part of the county; Energy, in the western part of the county; Killwinning and Hitt, in the northwest part; Azen and Brock, in the north part; Lawn Ridge, near the center; Etna, in the southeast. Since the advent of the rural delivery of mail these villages have all disposed of their post offices and their inhabitants receive mail at their doors.


© Missouri American History and Genealogy Project
Created August 16, 2017 by Judy White

Source: History of Northeast Missouri, edited by Walter Williams, Volume I, Lewis Publishing Company, 1913